The best ways to have a nature-inspired home!
Very recently a family friend moved into a new apartment which had a huge hall and normal sized bedrooms. However the bathrooms were pretty small (read our previous article on capsule bathroom décor ideas) and the so was the kitchen.
At the first look of the kitchen, I was gushing on how tiny and cute the kitchenette is and how easy it will be to maintain such a small kitchen. But really, is it easy to maintain a small kitchen? With less cupboards and space isn’t it difficult to accommodate our entire hoard (especially the buy 2 and get 1 free types) which we so fondly pick from the supermarket whenever we spot them!
So how do we make the most of the little space that has been offered to us? And at the same time keep the kitchen clutter free.
Let’s take a look at some of the tips which will come handy in managing our small and cute kitchenette.
- Lights are very important to make a kitchen look bigger. Create an illusion by using proper lighting and make sure to go for softer glow rather than the high voltage yellow bulbs. Try the new CFLs to give the kitchen a gentle and softer look. It will also create lesser heat.
- Storage is the most important thing in small kitchens. Make sure you have lots of storage cabinets for various cookery products, ration, spices, and appliances etc. Install your water filter on the wall to avoid the platform getting cramped.
- Try keeping the platform neat and tidy. Invest in some multi-purpose kitchen racks (wall mounting) and trolleys to give your kitchen an organized and clutter free look. It also becomes easy to clean if things are kept in the right places.
- If you don’t have a sink installed try installing it in a corner with a cupboard below which will be useful for storage.
- When buying kitchen gadgets and appliances like dishwasher, microwave etc., try opting for small and compact sizes (they are equally efficient). It won’t have much difference in the prices (as small gadgets are equally expensive) but you can get deals online on websites like amazon, flipkart and snapdeal if you are vigilant.
- Paint your kitchen in bright or in pastel shades which will give it an airy look and make you feel fresh whenever you enter it.
- Plan an open kitchen rather than the traditional room style. It will make it appear friendlier and you can have live conversation with the person in the adjacent area.
- If you do have an open kitchen you would want to beautify it as it will be visible to all visiting the house. You can opt for some hanging plants and fancy curtains but keep them away from the stove area. And if you don’t have an open kitchen its best to leave out the plants and curtains as they tend to attract dirt and grease. Instead go for wooden blinds which will look good and can be wiped almost daily.
- Try putting the refrigerator outside the kitchen area but at the same time within few steps from the kitchen, as the domineering height of the refrigerator may make your kitchen look small.
With some thoughtful and practical planning one can have a cute kitchen which is small, functional, easy to maintain and beautiful all at the same time. A kitchen should be so appealing to our own eyes that, after a hard day at work, we would want to look forward to cooking or just brewing a cuppa tea or coffee there.
Add warmth to your home -Must have woollen furnishings for this winter season!
Christmas Vibes Come Alive With Housejoy
The Best Carpet Trends for 2019
Home Decorating Ideas for This Diwali Season That You Cannot Afford To Miss
Add magic to your room and make it a dream room!